Thursday, August 5, 2010

Happenings...

Owl Creek is not a place I would describe using words such as thieves, guns or police. But as of yesterday our home nestled in the woods has come in contact with all of the above. Let me explain...

Yesterday afternoon a neighbor knocked on my door (he arrived on his four wheeler and had a gun strapped to his side), and asked me if our dog was missing. I had noticed she wasn't on the porch earlier and had called for her, but she hadn't returned. He told me that he had seen a family down by the creek putting a dog that looked like our dog in their car. He told me that she had tried to jump back out, but that they had shoved her back in the car.

Now if you have never seen Emma Lou, our dog, she is half Lab and half Great Pyranees, she ain't small.

Our neighbor gave me the car's tag number and related information and said he was going to go see if he could find the car. I found this humorous and exiting, seeing as my afternoons are usually spent reading books and playing with legos.

That evening Emma Lou had not returned so Pav decided to go talk to our neighbor again and see if the neighbor on the other side of us had seen anything or knew the family. (I feel like before I tell this part I should explain that we live on a few acres in the woods. Most of the people around us have several acres so we are all spread out. Though we are neighbors we don't see each other and wave from our front porch.) Anyways, Pav went to see our neighbor who has the property next to us. As he drove down her driveway he could see her standing out on her porch. She held a cigarette in one hand and a walking stick in the other. Across her chest was a holster with a handgun. He said "good evening" and explained what had brought him into her neck of the woods. She said that she hadn't seen anyone out by the creek and sorry she couldn't help. Then she told him not to be concerned if he heard any shooting, that she was just out shooting beaver...

Pav and decided it was time to call the police and tell them our story. We thought the police could just trace the tags and give the people a call. Does this sound naive? Apparently it was because we found out that stealing a dog is a felony and you can be arrested for it.

I dont' have an ending to this story, yet. We have to wait for the police to investigate the situation. I'll let you know what happens...

1 comment:

Lauren said...

So is there any news yet? I'm sorry all that happened to y'all!