Monday, September 5, 2011

Lapbooking

     Along with all of our other curriculum I've been trying to be intentional about teaching the kids other need to know things.  Like their address/phone number/how to count change/tell time/etc.  It's easy to look this stuff over when you are teaching them Latin...So this week Ever Joy and I made this little craft to help her learn not just her address but the concept of city, state, and eventually country and continent.  We just need to add two more bigger circles.
    This year in Classical Conversations we are learning about the human body and I thought it would be the perfect time to introduce lapbooks to Ever Joy.  For each week of our memory work we will make a new mini book that we can add to our lapbook.  The first week's memory work is What are four types of tissue?  connective, epithelial, muscle, and nerve.  I'm stumped on ideas.  If you have any let me know.  As I've been searching for pictures of lapbooks I've come across many, many great ideas.  Jimmie's lapbooks come up under every one of my searches.  If you are looking for ideas check out her flickr pictures here.  Another great resource is the blog 1+1+1=1.  She has some really cute lapbook projects, and some great ideas that would work for younger children who want a project along side their older sibling. 
     Thanks to a friends advice I checked out Elemental Science and for a very low cost I bought a template for a biology related lapbook that includes information and coloring pages on the human body.  It also includes biomes and animal lessons that the kids will enjoy. 
     If you have a blog with any pictures of your lapbooks let me know I would love to check them out.  Thanks!

No comments: