Monday, November 28, 2011

Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

     I was so happy to find a dry recipe for laundry detergent so I thought I would share it.  I've used the liquid kind in the past and found it messy.  It also separated in my container and would have to be stirred before using.  This recipe is very similar, but no melting soap on the stove.  So here it goes:
1-4lb. 12 oz. box Borax
1-4lb. box Baking Soda or 4-1lb. boxes
1-55 oz. box Washing Soda
3.5 lbs. Oxy Clean
3 bars soap
I decided to make a small batch first to try it out.  So I cut this recipe into 1/3.  I grated the soap on the finest grate I had.  I have a bar of Fels Naptha in the picture but I actually used Zote soap.  It is cheap, soft and really easy to grate.  Another choice would be Ivory soap.  I found all of these ingredients at my grocery store.  

I'm useing this detergent in a front load washing machine, and haven't had any problem with the soap not melting.  As far as quantity for each load, I would say that I'm using a scoop that would measure close to 2 Tbs.  This means I will have detergent for a long, long time...

If you have any tweeks for this recipe let me know.


No comments: