Saturday, November 26, 2011

Salt Dough Projects

 I still have vivid memories of my mom making salt dough with us as kids.  I thought it would be a fun, cheap craft to try with my own kiddos.  The recipe is simple just 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt and 1 cup water. 
 My younger kids played with it like playdough.

Ever Joy and I made lots of ornaments by using cookie cutters.  We also made a batch of beads by rolling the dough into balls and punching a hole through.  We baked our ornaments in the oven at 200 degrees until they were dry (about an hour).  It will take longer for thicker objects. Next we will take a day and paint all of our creations, or seal them with a clear varnish.  In the future I would like to try dying the dough with food coloring, or stamping the dough with rubber stamps.  You can find a variety of ideas here.  Have fun!


No comments: